Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My First Attempt... Needs Work

Since I had lots of free time this summer and my first niece is on the way, I decided to make a quilt. When I was in 3rd grade my mom and I made a quilt for kids in Kosovo. We tied that quilt when we were done sewing it together. That is all the quilting experience I have so this was going to be a new adventure. The putting together of the quilt didn't take very long (about 2 days) but the actually quilting is a totally different story. It takes FOREVER!!! No wonder grandma's do it more than others. They are the only ones with enough patience!

I didn't want to tie the quilt with yarn cuz I was never really a fan of quilts with yarn all over them. The front of the quilt is a floral design with lots of flowers and vines so my plan was to quilt by following the vines. I pictured it to be a masterpiece when I was done. Oh boy was I wrong! First, I tried using a million different types of stitches. I wasn't too satisfied with the 'up-down' stitch so I tried making up a few of my own.

Needless to say, that didn't work very well. It took me 1 week of non-stop quilting to get 1/5 of the quilt done. My back ached, my fingers hurt, and I was frustrated. So I decided to take a new plan of attack. I decided to just quilt the square pattern that I had created with the different fabrics. This wasn't as fancy but it only took me about 4 days to finish the entire thing. Definitely a worthwhile trade. This doesn't mean that the quilt was lookin' good, though. I was in such a hurry to get the quilt done in time for Stephanie's birthday that I had tons of buckling and uneven stitching. I didn't have time to fix it but I thought, "Oh well, someday I'll borrow it back from her and fix it. In the mean time, she can appreciate my effort, right?" Okay, so I should have fixed it cuz I know I will never find the time to go back and fix it but oh well. It is finally done!!!

My first attempt to quilt the vine design
that took WAY too long


Decided that was a bad idea and quilted squares instead


The finished product!

1 comment:

Coxes Child Care said...

Turned out great! And I love the fabric.

Background