Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sugar-Free

A few years ago, I tried to stop eating sweets and desserts for a month. Steff (my roommate at the time) did it with me and it was pretty tough. You can read more about it here and here. At the approach of this new year, I decided to try it again.
Last time I did it, I struggled in the beginning but it got easy quite quickly. This time was so different. Three weeks into it I was still struggling and having bad cravings but pushed forward. I told myself I would do it until it was no longer hard to do. It worked! It got easy and I stopped just in time for V-Day. It worked so well that I was having a hard time making myself eat all the sweets I got from my lovely kiddos.
During this time back on sugar, my face broke out more than it has in a loooooong time and I felt so yucky. I was not happy, so I'm back on again. Let's see how long I can make it last this time. Who knows, maybe forever!
Limited sweets has brought about so many unexpected benefits. A cleared-up face is just the start!
Typically when I over eat salty foods I counteract it with sweets. Without sweets, my appeal for salty foods has diminished and I crave good, healthy foods! Also, those impulse buys at the grocery store have ceased. Seeing as I can't eat the food I typically impulsively buy, I don't buy them and I''m saving money. I lost three pounds the first two weeks I did this. What a fast way to lose a couple pounds!

1 comment:

Christi said...

Good luck!! I went sugar free for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy. It was SOO hard at first (especially the first 48 hours or so) and then got easier. I loved going to the grocery store and saying, "Can't have that. Can't buy that". Saved money and I loved it. But if it wasn't for my son and my want for a VBAC, I'm not sure I could've done it. So I think you are pretty much amazing! good luck!

Background