Friday, December 3, 2010

Ups and Downs

This morning was pretty close to one of the worst mornings of my life. I was lacking in sleep and, therefore, not in a good mood to start with and it quickly got worse. I went to go talk to my professor about how to make up a couple missed classes earlier in the semester from when I was sick. He had a little more in mind because he brought me up to his office and talked to me for an HOUR about how I was a terrible student who didn't care about school and needed to change if I wanted to be any kind of successful in life. He then proceeded to tell me that I didn't learn anything in his class (Really? Cuz I had learned a lot) and that he would be merciful if he gave me a 'D'. Needless to say, I was very upset at this point. But don't worry, he kept going...
This is my Multicultural Education professor and the point of the class is to learn how to work with people from other/different cultures. He proceeded to tell me that I needed to overcome my upbringing as a Happy Valley Utah girl and (I quote from an email he sent me later on) I need to "really examine some of the ways in which your beliefs are way too judgmental and limiting…" Okay, this guy really pushed me over the limit. I have never really hated anyone in my life, but I came pretty darn close to absolutely hating him. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if I had been in a better mood to start with but oh the nerve of that guy! What right does he have to tell me I was raised wrong and need to "overcome that upbringing?" Am I really that judgmental? Did I miss something?

But don't worry ppl, I won't let him get me down because I have better news that trumps all. GEORGE STRAIT IS COMING BACK TO UTAH!!!!!!!!!! and he's bringing REBA with him!!!!!!!! and my pops and I are most definitely going. Mark your calendar's ppl, 4.02.10 is going to be the best day ever!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Teresa, I am so mad for you! That is so ridiculous! I think he needs to change his perspective and judgments that just because you were born in "happy valley" doesn't mean you are narrow minded, seems like he just is set in HIS ways of how "happy valley" people are! I had that class too, it was helpful but I also felt like my teacher had a pre conceived idea that everyone in the class was racist and had no compassion. Hang in there! and have fun at the concert!

debbie said...

Is your teacher of a different race? It seems to me that the few people I have met that consistently accused others of being racist were racist against people of European descent. With that said, almost all of the people I know of other races genuinely don't have such unkind feelings towards others. A few rare people just get on the
"white =racist"
bandwagon and can't get off. It's about them, not about you, so shake it off.

Stephanie said...

Holy cow. What right does he think he has to tear down another person like that! It will never cease to amaze me just how rude people are.

Sierra said...

So... I totally know how you feel. Last winter semester I had a teacher that told me that I didn't love dance and that I was prideful and disrespectful and judgemental and I belittled people and basically everything else that the scriptures say will stop you from entering the kingdom of heaven. Long story short- she told me I needed to rethink my career plan cuz I just wasn't good enough. In my mind I said shove it. And then later I bought her a present and wrote her a card basically saying "sorry I'm a really bad dancer". Sometimes, just sometimes, teachers are more stupid than their students. Thanks for coming to the mustache party :)

jAkE said...

I've been outside of happy valley and the only difference is that people don't have indoor heating and your liable to get mugged. Personally I love the bubble and i say stick it to the man who's probably from california( no offense to all the awesome cali friends out there).

Background